A local youth leadership and economic justice program, MyPath Advocates trains and supports low-income youth to become active participants and leaders in the financial justice movement, helping to (re)shape the landscape of opportunity for themselves and their communities. Currently, MyPath Advocates are encouraging financial institutions and regulatory institutions to better serve youth and young adults through offering safe, quality youth-owned financial products. Additionally, MyPath Advocates provide peer-to-peer workshops at local youth organizations and high schools regarding the dangers of predatory financial services and the connection between accessing good products and upward mobility.
A local youth leadership and innovation incubator, MyPath Innovators engages youth in program design, financial education curriculum design, technology design, and data-driven design enhancements efforts related to all our MyPath models. In 2013, MyPath Innovators worked closely with MyPath staff and outside technologists to create MyPath Online, our interactive online financial curriculum. For more information about MyPath Online, view this video developed by the Center for Financial Services Innovation for its Telling the Innovation Story series. Currently, MyPath Innovators are working closely with MyPath staff to build MyPath Mobile – the next iteration of MyPath Online.
- In 2015, MyPath Advocates and Innovators trained over 400 youth peers in over a dozen community agencies and schools.
- MyPath Advocates have led campaigns in San Francisco and supported efforts in San Mateo and Oakland to combat payday lenders and to advocate for increased access to quality financial services for low-income youth and families.
- In 2013, MyPath Advocates teamed up with youth from Youth Leadership Institute to organize the first Annual School for Economic Justice for Bay Area youth. The School prepares youth to mobilize their peers and communities around policies and campaigns addressing financial inclusion.
- MyPath Advocates have played an active role in advocacy at state and federal levels with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the California State Legislature.
- MyPath Advocates and Innovators learn new skills, build relationships in their community, and gain significant leadership skills.
MyPath Advocates and MyPath Innovators Partners
California Reinvestment Coalition ● CARECEN ● Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) ● Girl Source ● Latinos en Extasis ● Mission Girls ● Mission Graduates ● Oakland Leaf ● Youth Empowerment Fund Advisory Board (YEFAB) ●Youth Leadership Institute (YLI)
Become a Partner
Youth experts and MyPath staff can assist cities, nonprofits, and financial institutions in creating customized youth advocacy campaigns, tools and best practice resources regarding youth financial empowerment strategies. If you are interested in learning more about MyPath Advocates or MyPath Innovators, please contact our Director of Programs, Shirley Yee, at Shirley@MyPathUS.org.
Become a MyPath Advocate or MyPath Innovator
MyPath recruits San Francisco/Bay Area high school youth to lead our local incubators, MyPath Advocates and MyPath Innovators. MyPath recruits new youth participants every June for the the following school year. If you are interested in building your leadership skills and making a difference in your community, please check this space in June to download the application.